Food and Drink in Marrakesh at Night



Food and Drink in Marrakesh

Each evening as the sun goes down, dozens of open-air kitchens set up on the east side of Jemaa El Fna. Serving areas are erected and tables and benches are put out to create one vast alfresco eatery. Beneath a hanging cloud of smoke from the crackling charcoal grills, locals and visitors alike tuck into a vast array of Moroccan cuisine. Nearly every stall has its own speciality, from snails in spicy broth and chunks of lamb stuffed into sandwiches to humble hard-boiled eggs.


A dry-fruit stall
Although Marrakech has a very low crime rate, the crowds milling around Jemaa El Fna at night are perfect cover for pickpockets. Be careful with handbags and wallets. If you find the food stalls at the Night Market to be intimidating, you can always opt for the relative familiarity of salads, pizza and pasta at the Terrasses de l’Alhambra instead. More on Moroccan cuisine. During the International Film Festival a large screen is erected on Jemaa El Fna,.


Moroccan, is now one of my favourite cuisines, with it's tasty tagines, cous cous, etc.
Whenever I travel, I usually try to buy spices, a recipe book or other food related objects.

On this trip I bought a teracotta tagine (see my off the beaten tracks tips for more details) I'm afraid I haven't used this yet, it's more of an ornament at the moment, but I have cooked a few tagines using my old faithful cast iron casserole dish.

Argan oil (the new olive oil!!) Afraid I only bought a small bottle, for moisturising purposes from Essaouira- but I spent the exorbitant sum of £9 in Sainsburys for a bottle of organic Argan Oil for culinary purposes-
Top Tip- If You're visiting Essaouira, snap up a bottle or 2- or a crate load of Argan Oil, to sell to foodies back home for a fraction of the price of Sainsburys!! (See my Essaouira page for lots more info on Argan Oil
The Night Market35 spices- a versatile spice mix, used in many Moroccan dishes, I've used most of mine already, in lots of non Moroccan dishes too.



morocco culture,moroccan food,morocco food,moroccan cuisine,morocco beaches,moroccan meal,beaches in morocco,moroccan culture,hercules cave,hercules cave morocco