back from a week in Marrakech


I'm just back from a week in Marrakech - absolutely loved it!

I wore long trousers or skirts at all times and usually vest/thin strapped tops but with a loose cotton shirt over the top and always had a pashmina/scarf at hand. If I was on top of the tourist bus, at a rooftop terrace restaurant or somewhere quiet I would strip down to the vest top to soak up the gorgeous heat of the sun. When on the streets I'd wear the loose cotton top over the vest, and if I felt I was being particularly looked at I would wrap the pashmina around my shoulders. There were other women wearing a lot less and looked quite comfortable but I also saw women who were walking around hunched with arms crossed across their chests and looking very uncomfortable - I can only imagine they were on their first walk through the Medina.

I wasn't unduly harrassed, none of the men touch, but I found that some them can give a look that is so penetrating it feels like they're more than touching. It's quite unpleasant, paticularly when coupled with whispered comments or even just a sort of "tsk" sound. Unfortunately it's all done so slyly , softly and quickly that my boyfriend never saw it happen and for a time he thought I was being silly and over-reacting by wrapping myself up in layers and layers!!


morocco culture,moroccan food,morocco food,moroccan cuisine,morocco beaches,moroccan meal,beaches in morocco,moroccan culture,hercules cave,hercules cave morocco