plan to visit Morocco

I wish that I had a copy of this book five years ago! My wife is from Morocco, I've traveled there several times and stayed with her traditional Moroccan family - and lived elsewhere in the Middle East a total of four years. This book really could have made me worry less about committing cultural blunders had I had it sooner. Unlike many "insider" guides, this book's author really knows what he's talking about. His insights, observations and advice are keen and accurate - unlike so many other books that deal with the often misunderstood cultures of the Arab/Muslim World and are so often plagued with ignorance and stereotypes. I would highly recommended this book to anyone traveling to Morocco who is going to be dealing with Moroccans on a personal or business basis. The book covers everything from the religious views and mentality of the people to their sexual attitudes and about everything else in between - including just general good manners. I especially like the "test" section where the author describes a difficult situation that one may be caught in (such as your host continually demanding that you eat more) and then gives three or four multiple-choice options. The situations were so well chosen and the answers so accurate and well thought-out that my wife and I actually got a good laugh out of most of them. I could almost say that a typical tourist could probably do without this book, since much of it deals with situations that most tourists who stay at a hotel, and just go shopping and sight-seeing, will never encounter. However, after witnessing first-hand all to often the cultural insensitivity of my fellow American countrymen and women, I think that reading this book could certainly promote more open-minded thinking and understanding. At the least, it will certainly enhance one's understanding of Morocco and its people. I was so impressed with this book that I plan on getting copies for my sister and any other relatives who plan to visit Morocco with me. It'll certainly help them out.morocco culture,moroccan food,morocco food,moroccan cuisine,morocco beaches,moroccan meal,beaches in morocco,moroccan culture,hercules cave,hercules cave morocco